MHBA June 2019 to March 2021 Bar Year in review
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, MHBA’s bar year was extended to 22 months. Amid of this crisis, MHBA remained active as much as it could by not only hosting educational, and social events but by continuing to serve the community.
Our 26th Anniversary Gala was again a huge success raising funds to allow us to support many worthy causes. We honored the following individuals:
- Professor Elizabeth Keyes, University of Baltimore School of Law with the Outstanding Achievement Award
- Luis E. Borunda, Deputy Secretary of State with the Public Service Award
- Hon. Joseline A. Peña-Melnyk, Maryland House of Delegates was the Keynote Speaker
- MHBA awarded their second public interest Scholarships to a LALSA law student
MHBA recognizes and thanks again the sponsors of the 26th Maryland Hispanic Bar Association Gala:
Offit Kurman, P.A.
Stein Sperling Bennett De Jong Driscoll, PC
The Maryland National Park and Planning Commission
Bar Association of Montgomery County
Hispanic National Bar Association
Jezic & Moyse, LLC
Joseph Greenwald & Laake, P.A.
Maryland Association for Justice
Law Offices of Raphael J. Santini, P.A.
Zipin, Amster & Greenberg, LLC
Friend of the MHBA
Lisette Collazo-Dingle, Esq.
Prince George’s County Council Chair Todd M. Turner, District 4
Prince George’s County Council Member Deni L. Taveras, District 2
Prince George’s County Council Member Dannielle Glaros, District 3
We hosted and supported educational events that serve our community and provided sponsorship to worthy causes:
- Know Your Immigration Rights at Northwestern High School with the Office of The County Executive, Prince George’s County and Law Clinica del Pueblo
- MHBA supported the Immigration Model Hearing with PBRC, AILA, MSBA Immigration Section, and other organizations
- MHBA donated $500 to the Food Basket Campaign by the Guatemalan Consulate, Mexican Consulate and the Mexican Professional Network to support immigrant families affected by COVID-19 (560 families received food baskets)
- Conversation on Criminal Justice Through an Immigrant Lens with Delegate Wanika B. Fisher, Esq, CASA, Hispanic National Law Enforcement Association
- MHBA co-sponsored the Women in the Law event with MSBA YLS
- MHBA Signs the Blue Cross Blue Shield Better Together Community Pledge Wall to support the CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield COVID-19 Vaccine efforts.
Our Judicial Selections Committee interviewed judicial candidates several counties.
- We co-sponsored and supported several wonderful events:
- Judicial Reception at Gordon Feinblatt with the Alliance of Black Women Attorneys of Maryland, Monumental City Bar Association, Gloria Richardson Bar Association, Asian Pacific American Bar Association, and MHBA
- WBA Montgomery County Judicial Reception
- Virtual Bar Town Hall – Circuit Court for Baltimore City
- MCBA co-sponsored Implicit Bias in the Courtroom, workplace and beyond” event with the Anne Arundel Bar Association, J. Franklyn Bourne Bar Association, Alliance of Black Women Attorney’s, Bar Association of Baltimore City, Prince George’s County Bar Association, among others.
- MHBA participated in the LLSA IMPACTO Award Ceremony UMD Law
- MHBA co-sponsored a Webinar: Perspectives on Diversity, Inclusion and Equity from Corporate Counsel, with Anne Arundel Bar Association, and others
- Virtual Expungement in Prince George’s County, with CLS, Delegate Wanika B. Fisher, Esq, and others
- MHBA co-sponsored the “Webinar: Implicit Bias in the courtroom, workplace, and beyond, Part 2” with the AABA, Baltimore City Bar Association, Monumental Bar Association, among others.
- Some of the successful social events we hosted were
- MHBA Annual Holiday Party at La Tasca
- MHBA and MSBA YLS Networking and Mentorship Event at Little Havana in Baltimore
MHBA launched a new and improved website https://marylandhispanicbar.com.
Finally, I’d like to thank the 2019-2021 MHBA Board members for a successful 22-months bar year.